Sunday, April 21, 2013

He's My Son

I few weeks ago I heard the song "He's My Son" with an intro by the songwriter and singer Mark Schultz. see  http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=YZPLGNNX

When I heard his intro I thought that's how my blogs are, I happen to be in the room when God does the writing.

I listened to Mark's song "He's My Son" and started thinking about my relationship with my son. There are so many things it's so hard not to have control over. His Girlfriend, his work, when he takes his medications, his respect for women, parental respect, pride in personal appearance, the fine line between being confident in who you are and arrogance. Why is it so easy for me to turn the job situation over to God but I habitually try to hang on to my "control" in the face of these issues with my son. 

What should my prayer be? How often do I personally need to practice giving it to God? Realistically how long do I go without trying to take it all back? What should my first response to disrespectful attitude be? Should I pray for God to help him hear how he sounds, and feel how what he'd doing makes me feel, or should that be second after asking God to help me respond to the stimuli I'm getting in a Godly appropriate way instead of going for his throat? What are the steps to me letting God be God and in control and taking me out of the middle of it so that my interaction with my son goes through a God filter? Cause I gotta tell you at this point unfiltered just isn't working for either of us. 

I'm guessing I'm not the only one struggling with these issues above, I wish I could tell you I had this down and was consistently able to let it go and let God but these are the things I'm really struggling with right now. I'm trying to "consider it joy" like it says in the passage in James I noted in my last post but I'm not even kinda there at the moment. All I can do is keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep on doing what I know God wants me to do, I trust in time giving these issues to God will be my default reaction as it when a job situation goes wonky, I hope it's sooner rather than later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment