Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Hum....

One of the tools I've found to help me along the way was on my Bible App by YouVersion just waiting for me to discover it. I've used this app for years to access the Bible in various versions on my smart phone. You can highlight, bookmark, and make notes right on the app without having to carry around a lot of extra stuff. My purse already weighs a ton, so this is a good thing for me. Anyway, I recently noticed something called plans on the app. Further investigation revealed they have a bazillion devotional plans you can use right on the app, and they had one called Made to Crave:21 Day Challenge from the same lady that wrote the Made To Crave book I was going through with the ladies MTC (Made to Crave) group I meet with weekly. I encourage you to check it out. Here's where my head went on the first day. 

On 1/2/13 the scripture referenced was Psalm 139, which tells us how well God knows each and everyone of us. You might not get how I'm wired but God definitively does.
Psalm 139:13-14 says:  For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, How awesome is that? He understands me, and He considers me wonderful. Powerful stuff, but doesn't it follow that if He went to all the trouble to put that much into creating me, He expects me to take care of what He created? I'm thinking it does which means starting to take better care of myself and count on God to help me do so is something I need to do. Later on in this same chapter of Psalms in vs 23-24, it says: Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Isn't it cool that God doesn't just find the bad stuff in us and leave us to deal with it, He shows us how to get rid of, and away from it. 

One of the points Lysa made was that she had realized that she had been depending on food more than depending on God. The morning I read this, God started asking me about all the things I was putting in front of Him. What was I spending my time and energy on? Was it reading His Word, and seeking His Will. I started asking myself "What do I crave more than God" I believe answering this question and rearranging my priorities will be key to both a physical weight loss and a spiritual weight gain. For me one of the things was definitively food, think about, how many times a day some thought about food crosses your mind. What do I want for breakfast? How about lunch? Geez how much longer till lunch? What should I fix for dinner? I'm hungry and the list goes on and on. What if every time a food thought pops in my head, instead of pursuing it, I pursue God. I could take the opportunity to thank God for something He's done or is going to do, I could ask His help with a problem, I could pray for a friend, I could ask for wisdom to deal this issue or that one, I could pray for our County, our Military, our President, I could ask Him what He wants me to do today, is there someone He wants me to talk to today. The bottom line is I could spend time visiting with God, sharing my day with Him. I know it makes me sad when my son doesn't take the time out of his busy day to talk to me, I want to know how he's doing, what's going on, and more importantly that he wants to spend time with me, rather it's a call or a quick text or whatever. The important part is he cares enough to check in. I know God wants the same from me, He'd like me to check in and not treat Him like Santa Clause or a Genie and only come talk to Him when I want something. Also just like me with Colton, God is interested in the piddly little details of our lives. The New Living Translation of Psalm 37:23-24 says:

The Lord directs the steps of the godly. 
He delights in every detail of their lives.

Though they stumble, they will never fall, 
for the Lord holds them by the hand.





1 comment: